A carport or solar parking structure can lower operating costs and reduce Urban Heat Island (UHI) effect. Weather data across the U.S. shows considerably lower temperatures in rural areas compared to urban environments. This effect is called the Urban Heat Island (UHI). UHI occurs when cities replace natural land-cover with dense concentrations of pavement, buildings, and other surfaces that absorb and retain heat*. The most direct effect of an UHI is increased air temperatures causing an increase in the energy used to cool buildings and vehicles.
For example: on a 90-degree Fahrenheit day, the interior temperature of a vehicle parked in the sun for only 10 minutes will increase to 109 degrees. After 20 minutes, the temperature rises to 119 degrees. After 30 minutes, the temperature increases to 124 degrees and after 90 minutes, the interior temperate is 138 degrees. Today, more than ever, photovoltaic (PV) systems, which absorb and convert sunlight into energy, are being erected on urban parking lots to mitigate this exponential increase in temperature. Recent studies reveal that the large-scale deployment of solar PV systems in the urban environment are capable of reducing (on average) the daily impact of UHI by 11%**.
Benefits of solar parking structures:
- Maximize parking lot functionality and protect vehicles from the elements
- Single source solution for canopy design, engineering and construction
- Pre-construction design, manufacturing and support
- Multiple foundation options
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) and other Green Building Standard rating and certification systems, including National Green Building Standards (NGBS), Green Globes, Energy Star, and Net Zero Energy Buildings
- Optional electric vehicle charging stations
- 30% Federal Investment Tax Credit
- Modified Accelerated Cost Recovery System (MACRS) depreciation
The Sunworks construction team will follow all the requirements set forth by the National Electric Code and Public Utility Commissions. We follow all industry best practices and comply with state regulations to ensure the safety of our installation team members working on your site. Our entire project is performed with minimal interruption to your business and is backed by our 25-year construction warranty.
* US Environmental Protection Agency
** Solar panels reduce the urban heat island by TU Delft and Deerns